Macaroni salad is a popular American recipe and is a rage during picnics and outdoor parties. It is a hot favorite with both children and adults and the salad provides a welcome change from the traditional cheese and macaroni dishes.
Image: Eat. Drink. Love
This scrumptious meal is delicious, as well as packed with nutrients, because of the healthy vegetables and eggs used in the recipe. You can either enjoy it as a wholesome meal by adding garlic breads and mayonnaise or as a side dish. It is also a great snack on the hot summer days with a cool drink.
Although different kinds of macaroni are used for making this dish, but it goes best with elbow ones. The below recipe will serve four.
2 cups of elbow macaroni,
1 cup vegetables of choice
1 tbsp olive oil,
1 ½ celery stalks,
1 sprig of parsley,
½ cup mayonnaise,
½ tablespoon of crushed black pepper,
salt to taste and water to boil the mayonnaise.
• Bring a pot of water to boil with a little salt added to it. When the water starts bubbling add the macaroni and cook for 5-10 minutes till it is tender. Drain the water and keep the macaroni aside for cooling down.
• Next, boil eggs till they are hard boiled. Slice the peeled eggs into thin slices and keep aside.
• Dice or chop the vegetables as desired and saute separately in a pan with a little butter.
• For the dressing, chop onions and parsley and mix with the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs and mix well.
• Now add the dressing to the cooked vegetables and macaroni and mix well, till they become creamy. Taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
• Place everything in a salad bowl and refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
Adding a little olive oil will add a Mediterranean twist to this dish as well as help retain its freshness. A few drops of fresh lime juice will also add a nice touch.